Saturday, April 16, 2022

DUNE by David Lynch, 1984

In December of 1984 Burger King David Lynch's Dune was a very big deal. I had a plastic cup with Kyle MacLachlan, hair-dried and rubber-suited, in which I kept loose change. Sting took the Silver Screen with plasticized gitch and dagger. "I will kill him!"

By evening's end when the girl with blue eyes swam into view and stage-whispered, "He is the Kwisatz-Hadarach!" there was an audible groan from the audience. Lynch removed his name and we witnessed an epic turkey. I haven't seen it since. 


I went to the BBQ cafe adjoined to the Metropolitan Cinema Theatre where I bumped into some friends. A woman dressed in white sang, "Jeremiah was a bullfrog/A very good friend of mine..." She was accompanied by a man with a matching white electric guitar. She stayed in tune, but only just. I ordered deep-fried perogies 

Key-change!

"Joy to the world /All you boys and girls... "

The guitar-man ran up and down the neck, but it was no use. She had broken key. She was free, and he'd been left behind. 


My friends either saw or didn't see Dune. It was NOT a "date movie." At a time when I saw EVERYTHING twice (it was the era of Rocky IV -- *sigh*) it is remarkable I only saw Lynch's film once. As my friend and workmate Kaz put it when the extended version was finally available, "If you've seen the theatrical release you've already seen the best that Lynch has to offer." 

And immediately thereafter I'd seen the Lady in White; how were you gonna top that?  

2 comments:

  1. So have you watched the newest Dune? Thoughts? Colin is a bug Dune but and I think he really liked it. I'm a sucker for Denis Villeneuve. Arrival is in my top 10 favs of all time!

    ReplyDelete

NEWS!

I am back to blogging  here .  It's easier for me to organize, for one thing. And it should be easier for you to comment.